MR. & MRS. HARRIS

MR. & MRS. HARRIS

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 16 of the 30 Day Challenge

Day 16: A picture of a person who inspires you.
 
                 
                                                     


My Dad inspires me everyday. I cant even explain to you how much I love my Dad. He is the most loving, selfless, funny, and giving man I know. He has worked so hard for us and been the best provider for our family.
Our lives changed my Senior year on September 18th, 2004. My parents were in a head on collision. A lady under the influence crossed the center line and hit my parents head on going 60 mph. My mom suffered from minor injuries, and took on more of the emotional trauma of the accident. My Dad took most of the impact. He told my mom he didn't think he was going to make it and told her to tell us kids that he loved us kids so much. After being stuck in the car for over 30 minutes (they were coming home from Florence) he was rushed to Sacred Heart where he wasn't given much change of survival. He suffered from a crushed pelvis, an ankle broken in 30 places, his femur bone broke and pushing through his skin in his back, a compound fracture in his elbow that had broke completely through the skin. He also had to get a bone graph from his pelvis and put in place in his foot that was crushed. His ACL, PCL, MCL's were all torn, his siactic nerve was crushed causing chronic nerve pain and damage, leaving his other foot numb and the other one that was crushed is now fused, so now there is hardly any movement. This whole event is so surreal now. I cant believe we lived this. My Dad was in the ICU for 7 days, everyday was a miracle, his heart had stopped beating one time, so we took it day by day and everyday was a gift from God. He later spent 4 weeks on the rehabilitation floor. Where he did minimal sitting, mostly just laying and recovering the best he could. He later wasn't allowed to come home in his condition so he was moved to a rehabilitation home for ANOTHER 4 weeks. At this point my dad hadn't been home in over 2 months. He finally was able to come home after that miserable stay in that home. And when I say he was at home he was still in a hospital bed with around the clock care, that lasted that way from months on end. It has been a very long road with countless doctors appointments, surgeries after the long hospital stay, and the emotional toll we all took was so overwhelming. My dad was told he would never walk again. He spent 4 years in a wheel chair. As all of this sounds so horrible, I promise I am not trying to get a sympathy vote here I just needed to explain to you what my Dad and family has gone through and why my dad inspires me every day. He was told he would never walk and now he is without a wheelchair. Of course he cant walk long distances by any means, or even around the block but he can walk. He deals with intense, chronic pain EVERY SINGLE DAY and he never complains, never. My Dad is the strongest man who loves his family so much and would do anything for us. I love my Dad with my whole heart. By the Grace of God my parents are here today, and I am forever thankful. I love you Dad, you inspire me to be a better person. I hope one day to find a husband who is half than man you are... Lets be honest, nobody can compare to a girls Dad.

What was so hard was not having my Dad be able to watch me play Volleyball my Senior Year. He was my number one fan and pushed me in sports and made me the athelete that I was so of course I wished he could of been present every game. He got permission from Doctors to go to my Senior Night Game. That was so special to me because I know with how much pain he was in, he wanted to be there with his whole heart. After every game we all would go back to the hopsital and give him my stats and the play by play of the game so he wouldnt feel like he missed out.
This was about a month or so after the accident.
My Dad was unable to see me get crowned at the Homecoming Game so we relived it in the hospital for him :)

Senior Night Game
Prom, Look how great he looks. (8 months after the accident)

And here we all are, 7 years since the accident. We have come a long way, especially my mom and dad. I love you all.


2 comments:

  1. I'm sobbing. Just sobbing. So many memories! You're family tops the list of strong, courageous people. Seriously, you guys have been such fighters, your dad especially. I think everyone admires your dad. I know I always have. Even though he used to do engine engine #9 on my arm, I still love him hahaha!

    Your dad is an amazing man. And that's an under statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never met your dad but from what I hear, he is an amazing man! You are right nobody can compare to a girls daddy! :) Dont you feel lucky to have such an inspiring father who has every quality a person should have? I'm sitting at work trying not to cry because this post was so sweet. You and your family are THE american family. haha!

    ReplyDelete